Black Hawk County Courthouse
In 1855, the Black Hawk County
Board of Commissioners decided to move the county seat from Cedar Falls to
Waterloo. From there, Judge John Randall took over the plans for construction
of a county courthouse. Although the public wanted a voice in picking the site,
the Judge rejected their assistance and contracted to build the courthouse for
$12,747.61. Because of a number of changes in the plans, the final project cost
reached $27,000! This building, with its $2,200 fence, six massive two-story
pillars, and cupola was demolished in 1907.
With the voters'
approval, money was raised to buy a construction site for the second courthouse
and jail. This building was completed and dedicated in 1902.
The present red and black
polished stone courthouse was completed in 1964 at a cost of $2,850,000.