Jefferson County Courthouse
The first courthouse of Jefferson
County was completed in 1840 at Fairfield. This building was a two-story wood
rectangular box, with a gabled roof. A new courthouse was constructed of brick
in 1851. The 40 by 70 foot structure was built at a cost of $7,500. The former
courthouse burned down in 1916.
By 1875, the county judge
refused to hold court in the brick courthouse because of its dilapidated
condition. However, it was not until 1880 that the courthouse was abandoned.
For more than ten years, court was then held in the Harmony Church. Because
hard times had fallen on most of the county, citizens would not agree to spend
the money for a new courthouse. Finally in 1890, the present courthouse began
construction. It was finished in 1893 at a cost of $73,630.87. The exterior is
made of Cleveland gray sandstone and red brick and the interior is adorned with
native oak woodwork. The building appears today as it did in 1893, except for
the modifications to the clock tower which took place in 1948.