Admission to the Bar
Court Rules Governing Admission and Practice
Chapter 31 of the Iowa Court Rules governs who may practice law in Iowa. Qualified persons seeking admission to the bar or authority to appear in an action in an Iowa court should refer to the following rules:
· Rules 31.2-31.11. Admission by examination.
· Rules 31.12-31.13. Admission without examination of a lawyer licensed to practice law in another state.
· Rule 31.14. Admission pro hac vice—Application for Admission Pro Hac Vice
· Rule 31.15. Permitted practice by a law student as part of an educational program approved by a law school and the court.
· Rule 31.16. Registration of house counsel for a corporation, association, or other business, educational, or governmental entity engaged in business in Iowa.
· Rule 31.18. Licensing and practice of foreign legal consultants.
· Rule 31.19. Certification and pro bono participation of emeritus attorneys.
Iowa Court Rules, See Chapter 31
CONTACT: Bar.Admissions@iowacourts.gov for information about admission to the bar.
The Board of Law Examiners
The Board of Law Examiners, appointed by the Iowa Supreme Court, reviews the qualifications of law school graduates seeking admission to practice law in Iowa.
The board administers the Iowa Bar Examination and tests the legal knowledge and skills of bar applicants. The board supervises the grading of the examination and recommends to the Supreme Court all applicants who pass the examination and who meet the character and fitness requirements. For information on this process, call the Office of Professional Regulation, (515) 725-8029.
The board is composed of seven members - five Iowa lawyers and two lowa residents who are not lawyers. Appointments shall be for three-year terms. Members shall serve no more than three terms or nine years, whichever is less. The following persons currently serve on the board:
· Lora L. McCollom, Board Chair, attorney, West Des Moines
· A. Eric Neu, Vice Chair, attorney, Carroll
· F. Richard Lyford, Board Chair, attorney, Des Moines
· Jean Z. Dickson, attorney, Bettendorf
· Stacey N. Warren, attorney, Des Moines
· Patricia A. Thayer, Arnolds Park
· R. Keith Richardson, West Des Moines